Friday, March 19, 2010

The Art of the Lens...

It's no secret that I love photography, and my eye always goes first to black and white. So it did come as a surprise when, viewing the sensational array of photos presented at the AIPAD show preview, I was taken in most by two photographers working in color.

Day After, 2006 (c) Jen Davis courtesy Lee Marks Fine Art

In Jen Davis's own words:  "I deal with my insecurities about my body image and the direct correlation between self-perception and the way one is perceived by others...My work is solely based on personal experiences that I have re-constructed into a photograph, but I believe that it speaks generally to the situation of many women in our culture."

Her works, represented by Lee Marks Fine Art  from Indiana, certainly spoke to me -  in a soft and unwavering voice with notes of both  the vulnerability of a woman and the confidence of a young artist. 

From closer to home was 57th Street's Amador Gallery, always a favorite stop on the circuit. New to me were the works  of Robert Voit - an artist from Germany who captures the essence of proportion with both wonder and wit in his images of very tall trees in their settings. Perusing his bio, I noticed that he recently studied in Düsseldorf with Prof. Thomas Ruff, whose work I have admired for years.

Mobile Home Park, Las Vegas, Nevada USA 2006 (c) Robert Voit courtesy Amador gallery

There is so much to see of art and history at this fair, it is well worth going to lost in it yourself. Find what speaks to you...@ the Park Avenue Armory through Sunday.